Apply for Senior Software Engineer
We are looking for a senior software engineer who is dedicated and passionate about delivering world class products that have a far-reaching impact. This role will work on our flagship product, the Symmetry Tax Engine, that powers the payroll tax withholding calculations for millions of paychecks every year. This role requires a sense of ownership of the code you write and the ability to work closely with team members across the organization including the leadership team, research and support, quality control, customer success, and marketing.
Primary Responsibilities & Experience:
- Add code for new features and functions to core applications
- Ensure code quality with extensive testing and version control
- Analyze and identify code problems; debug code as required
- Maintain base of existing web-based services and applications
- Represent Symmetry on client and partner calls as the product and technical expert
- Practical experience writing reasonably complex software in an object oriented, strictly typed, compiled programming language (e.g., Java, C+, .Net, etc.)
- SQL and fundamentals of relational database design (SQL Lite, Postgre SQL, etc.)
- LUA programming or exposure to LUA application frameworks
- Experience using, developing, and deploying on Linux & Microsoft including scripting using bash
- Experience with version control / source code management systems (Bitbucket, Jira)
- Experience writing and updating clear and comprehensive documentation and user guides
- At least 10 years of progressive technical experience as a software developer or related role
- Experience consuming and/or designing Web Services
- API documentation (swagger)
- Experience with formal build and release management workflows, tools (e.g., TeamCity, Jenkins), and processes
- Experience with Agile development, continuous delivery, and interacting with DevOps
- Experience mentoring and leading other software developers
- Experience coding payroll and/or HR applications a huge plus
Required Skills & Mindsets:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and within a fast-paced team environment
- Strong work ethic supported by solid time-management skills
- Professional and team oriented with strong communication skills
- Ability to communicate at all levels within the company
- Ability to respect and embrace diversity amongst staff and office environments
- Fast and enthusiastic learner with a desire to increase knowledge and understanding of the payroll industry and Symmetry Software products and services
- Ability to get into the nitty gritty of how a product works and communicate its value clearly and exquisitely
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or applicable experience
If you feel that you have adequate experience and would be a good fit for our company culture, apply now by emailing your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Working at Symmetry Software:
Being happy at a job goes beyond just doing the work. Where you choose to spend 40 hours a week should be a place that challenges you professionally and aligns with your personal goals and well-being. We truly love what we do, and our customers love what we produce. Our family-owned and -operated business is collaborative, fun, and friendly. We offer the opportunity to work with all kinds of positions across the company, from the CEO to support to sales and everything in between.
About Our Work:
Our products make sure millions of paychecks are right, no matter where people live or work in the U.S. We simplify the payroll process with accurate and dependable payroll withholding tax solutions. Our clients include Fortune 500 companies, like Walmart and Southwest Airlines, and leading payroll service providers, including ADP and Paychex. With a 95%+ customer retention rate, our products always have to be top-of-the-line, and so do our employees.
Symmetry Software is also the company behind the popular website PaycheckCity.com, which helps millions of Americans better understand their paychecks every month.