Apply for Senior Engineering Leader – Tax Determination
Symmetry Software is a leader in payroll tax determination and withholding solutions that empower some of the largest payroll providers in the US. It’s estimated that our solutions touch over 64 million paychecks each year! Our mission is to simplify the payroll process with our dependable and accurate tax determination solutions that our customers can rely on.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a seasoned engineering leader for our tax determination product platform. Come lead the team that provides the core services and software designed to accurately determine payroll taxes employees and employers are subject to. You will be responsible for the tools and solutions that empower our products and services to calculate over 64 million paychecks each year with timely and accurate withholdings. We are a full-stack development team, building applications coded in multiple languages; C, Java, .NET, Python, NodeJS, leveraging containers, and service-oriented architecture. The right person will raise the profile and excellence of our entire team. You will be integral to our company's growth and guide our success through innovations and product deliverables.
What you’ll be doing
- Developing and deploying strategies to support and build high functioning, motivated teams, ensuring technical competence in the team.
- Taking complete functional ownership of your area including vision for both the platform and product in partnership with product managers and stakeholders.
- Aligning and prioritizing the organization deliverables based on the company needs, working closely with the leadership across functional departments.
- Ensuring the tax determination platform is performant, available 24x7x365, resilient, and stable.
- Maintaining and improving our monitoring, alerting, self-healing, release management processes.
- Managing balance across product uplift initiatives, new features, and business goals.
- Supporting technical innovation and lead creation, continual refinement, and active enforcement of our engineering standards to ensure that our technology can be sustainably operated.
- Evaluating emerging technologies including SaaS systems for opportunities to improve services, acting as technical consultant for the company to champion practical technical solutions.
- Partnering with engineering leaders across the company to architect and champion well-defined sub-systems and continually refining company-wide platform architecture.
Experience & requirements
- Masters or Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years of engineering leadership experience – managing both people and tech stacks.
- Proven ability to iteratively drive large projects through their lifecycle, applying past experiences to make practical choices between speed and quality to deliver effective solutions.
- A proven track record and ability to communicate with cross functional peers, communicating technical concepts to business stakeholders, and communicating business objectives to the technical team.
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership on problems and projects and lead them to completion.
- A proven ability to debug and triage critical systems, including team performance.
- Hands-on experience with agile methodologies, and their practical application.
- Strong Experience with web application development, Dev-ops, distributed systems, CI/CD and test automation.
- Strong understanding of Object-Oriented Design, Service Oriented Architecture, and Systems thinking.
- Exceptional verbal and written presentation skills, including ability to prepare materials for audiences at all levels of the organization.
Required skills & mindsets:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong work ethic supported by solid time-management skills.
- A love of your craft and a curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things.
- Ability and passion for helping growing engineering teams and making others better.
- A commitment and drive for quality and building for the long term.
- Ability to respect and handle diversity amongst staff and office environments.
- Ability to get into the nitty gritty of how a product works and clearly communicate its value.
If you feel that you have adequate experience and would be a good fit for our company culture, apply now by emailing your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Working at Symmetry Software
Being happy at a job goes beyond just doing the work. Where you choose to spend 40 hours a week should be a place that challenges you professionally and aligns with your personal goals and well-being. We truly love what we do, and our customers love what we produce. Our family-owned and -operated business is collaborative, fun, and friendly. We offer the opportunity to work with all kinds of positions across the company, from the CEO to support to sales and everything in between.
About our products
Our products make sure millions of paychecks are right, no matter where people live or work in the U.S. We simplify the payroll process with accurate and dependable payroll withholding tax solutions. Our clients include Fortune 500 companies, like Walmart and Southwest Airlines, and leading payroll service providers, including ADP and Paychex. With a 95%+ customer retention rate, our products always have to be top-of-the-line, and so do our employees.
Symmetry Software is also the company behind the popular website PaycheckCity.com, which helps millions of Americans better understand their paychecks every month.
No Agencies Please!