Apply for Payroll Tax Research Analyst
We are looking for a bright, friendly, detail-oriented individual to work with our Payroll Tax Research Team. In this role, you will build the foundation for our payroll tax software products by conducting the research necessary to ensure our products are always up-to-date and regulatory compliant. The Tax Research Analyst is responsible for monitoring state, county, and municipal withholding and employer tax rates and forms, documenting changes, and recording them into our customer-facing tax rate database. In this role, you will collaborate with our customer support and customer success teams, providing key research and insight to help Symmetry deliver on our brand promise, which is “The right taxes, the first time.”
If you have a passion for payroll tax research, a mind made for detail, past payroll experience, and a love for providing excellent internal customer service, you may be a good fit for Symmetry Software. Primary Responsibilities:
- Performing research in federal, state, and local payroll tax laws and regulations as well as related withholding forms.
- Preparing inquiries to tax jurisdictions to obtain clarification when laws or regulations are unclear.
- Participating on various projects to assure that payroll tax requirements are met.
- Assisting programmers and sales reps in understanding payroll tax laws for developing products and communications with clients.
- Assisting customer support and onboarding teams with tax rate questions and, when appropriate, providing them supporting documentation.
- Joining industry groups to develop a network of like-minded contacts to share tax information.
- Maintaining excellent records in our information systems regularly.
- Working in a collaborative team environment.
- Keeps up to date with payroll tax activities, including compliance with local, state, and federal regulations.
- Interprets, communicates, and executes changes as needed. Stays current on changing payroll/tax legislation, while keeping the team informed.
- Coordinates efforts between tax research and other departments to ensure proper flow and maintenance of tax withholding data, ensuring accuracy.
- Maintains excel files and provide necessary reports or documentation according to company established procedures. Creates and maintains SOPs as needed, monitors procedures for accuracy and relevance.
- Provides recommendations for continuous process improvement.
Required Skills, Experience, & Mindsets:
- At least 2 or more years of working experience in payroll tax and/or processing payroll in an in-house environment.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving abilities.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal with a proven ability to succeed working in a team environment.
- Excellent customer service skills with an ability to effectively handle and resolve inquiries and issues.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise extreme discretion, demonstrating a high degree of professionalism and integrity.
- Excellent problem solving/judgment skills, and an elevated level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong organizational skills, and the ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet all deadlines.
- MS Office Suite – Excel, Word, SharePoint, PowerPoint etc.
- NetSuite, JIRA
- Internet research skills.
- Strong technical skills, including proficiency with automated systems.
- Associate Degree in Business Administration/Finance or equivalent level of knowledge in this relevant field.
- APA (American Payroll Association) – CPP (Certified Payroll Professionals) certification or FPC (Fundamental Payroll Certification) certificate required or the ability to sit for the exam within the first year of employment.
If you feel that you have adequate experience and would be a good fit for our company culture, apply now by emailing your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Working at Symmetry Software:
Being happy at a job goes beyond just doing the work. Where you choose to spend 40 hours a week should be a place that challenges you professionally and aligns with your personal goals and well-being. We truly love what we do, and our customers love what we produce. Our work environment is collaborative, fun, and friendly.
About Our Work:
Our products make sure millions of paychecks are right, no matter where people live or work in the U.S. We simplify the payroll process with accurate and dependable payroll withholding tax solutions. Our clients include Fortune 500 companies, like Walmart and Southwest Airlines, and leading payroll service providers, including ADP and Paychex. With a 96% customer retention rate, our products always must be top-of-the-line, and so do our employees.
Symmetry Software is also the company behind the popular website PaycheckCity.com, which helps millions of Americans better understand their paychecks every month.
The health and safety of our employees, clients, and partners is a top priority here at Symmetry. Due to COVID-19 all interviews will be conducted virtually to minimize the risk of exposure for all parties.